HTML

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Homemade CrossFit Equipment

Between the days that I go to my box I try to get some sort of workout in.  I hope to build a plyo box soon, but in the meantime, here are some pictures of the pull-up bar that I placed in my backyard and the medicine ball I made.

Pull-up bar
Material:
2x 4x4x10 pressure treated lumber
1x 48"x1" galvanized steel bar
2x 1" galvanized steel end caps
2x 6" bolts
2x nuts
2x washers
3x bags of quickrete (80 lbs each)***
I drilled the holes for the bar in the 4x4, inserted the bar and added end caps, then drilled a hole perpendicular to the bar for the bolts to prevent the bar from spinning.  Once the 4x4's and the bar were connected, I laid them on the ground where I wanted the pull-up bar to be stationed.  I marked the ground and dug the holes 2 feet deep with a fence post digger.  I used spare 2x4's as support, leveled the 4x4's, and placed the 4x4's in the holes and filled the holes with quickrete.  

Total time from start to finish (not including the 24 hours for the concrete to cure) was approximately 2 hours.  Some would say that I should have placed the 4x4's 3 feet down (1/3 the length of the post), but the 2 feet was enough to allow for the pull-up function without any swaying of the bar or posts.

Here is a view of the bolt used to stabilize the bar from rotating.


*** Note:  Where I live there are a lot of rocks below the surface.  I removed some rather large rocks to get down to the 2' level.  If you live in an area that has more forgiving soil where you don't have to remove big rocks that extend outward from the path of your hole, you may not require as much quickrete.


Medicine Ball


Buying an officially made medicine ball can be expensive.  I decided to take the DIY approach and save some coin.  

Materials:
1x Rubber Basketball
1x Bag of sand
1x tube of black shoe goo
1x flat rubber cap
1x rubber patch

I found the basketball on clearance at a big-box store for around $7 and the rest of the materials was no more than $10.

I drilled a 1.5" hole in the side of the basketball and filled it with sand, using a manila file folder as a funnel.  I used a postal scale with the hopes that I could fill it with 20 lbs of sand.  Unfortunately I was only able to get 18 lbs of sand inside the ball.  I then sanded the area around the hole to get rid of the raised rubber bumps off the ball where I was going to place the patch.  I placed the flat rubber cap (hard) over the hole, which I secured in place with a little bit of the black shoe goo.  I then placed the rubber patch over the hole using the provided adhesive.  Once that was dry, I used the black shoe goo to finalize the seal.

I attempted to spray-paint the ball black, but the rubber did not like the combination of paint and abuse, so it flaked off over time.

Total time to create, not including the final dry time for the shoe goo was under 2 hours.  It would probably take me less time now since a lot of that time spent was trial and error time.

2 comments:

  1. That's Rad! My friend Leigh made me a set of 3 Med balls the same way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eric,

    Love post, I came across it while researching for a similar article of mine http://easybuypal.com/learn/how-to-build-a-homemade-outdoor-free-standing-pull-up-bar

    I gave you a shout out near the bottom of the article.

    Cheers
    Gareth

    ReplyDelete